Call Us

Watch Out! Here Are 5 Poisonous Plants That Can Ruin The Holidays

It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas when you start to see Christmas trees, wreaths, poinsettia and mistletoe. However, the plants that can make the holidays so special can also make them deadly for your pets — or at least a bit uncomfortable. Here are 5 plants that you should keep out of the way of your four-legged friends during the holidays:

Pine Needles

Whether they are on your Christmas tree, a wreath or some garland, pine needles can be a problem if ingested. The needles can puncture or irritate the lining of your dog’s stomach, and the oils can irritate the mucous membranes. The needles may not kill your pet, but they can make him really uncomfortable and ill.


Though not poisonous, this brightly colored holiday plant can irritate your dog’s mouth and stomach, even causing vomiting. Your pet may spend a few days feeling bad, but it shouldn’t cause more serious problems than that.


You might want to pucker up when you see mistletoe, but if your dog gets too close to it, it can cause serious problems. Ingesting mistletoe can cause everything from gastrointestinal disorders to cardiovascular collapse.


Though holly has a low toxicity level for dogs, its leaves and berries can still cause vomiting, diarrhea and even depression. While it may not cause serious health problems, it can make the holidays a little less bright for your dogs.


These brightly colored flowers are often used in holiday displays. However, if your dog decides to take a nibble, he can suffer from vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, depression, excessive salivation and tremors.

If you plan to travel at the holidays, leaving your dogs at home with those holidays plants is not worth the risk. Boarding your dog with a professional service like Citizen Canine can ensure that he is safe and healthy while you are away.